Tuesday, March 1, 2011

How do you know if it’s made in the USA?

If you walk into the grocery store and go to the produce section you will probably notice the origin of fruits and veggies on or close to those items. Walk down and few isles over or look at your grocery’s and kitchen cabinets – like I did - and it turns out that it’s not that easy to know if something is made in the USA.  I have found several options:

“Made in”
“Product of”
“Produced in”
“Manufactured in”

Then more obscure descriptions:
“Distributed by” followed by a US address) – I always thought this was for imported goods, like wine, but Kraft cheese had it on shredded cheese – is it possible that Kraft shredded cheese is not made in the US?

So what are the differences?  I don’t know yet, but I will find out. Like all things there is probably some specific legal description for each.  

No comments:

Post a Comment